Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Gel-Cream Dry touch SPF 50+



I picked up the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Gel-Cream Dry touch SPF 50+ when my host sister placed an order for L'Oréal back when I was in France. I was using a Neutrogena sunscreen at the time, and it was quite greasy, so I was looking for something more mattifying. This sunscreen promised to be dry touch, so I was really looking forward to it.



Unfortunately, the first try with it was a bust. I was using it with a Bioderma serum under it, and the sunscreen just rolled little white pieces all around my face. The silicones in the sunscreen and in my serum weren't compatible. Anyway, I had to wash my face again and start my routine over from scratch. Not a good first impression. This was quickly thrown into a drawer never to be seen again.

However, I'm back in America, I ran out of my Neutrogena sunscreen (empties coming soon), and I changed my routine. I'm currently using the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo + as my day serum, so I figured the sunscreen might be better with a serum form the same brand. That was right. With that serum, this sunscreen doesn't roll all over my face. That's nice. However, when it gets to the area where I put my Eysilix eye cream, it does roll a bit.

Anyway, now that I've been using this for a couple weeks, I can tell you more about it aside from the creepy rolling. I apply about a 1/4 teaspoon blob to my face and smooth it in. It doesn't leave a white cast which is nice, however, if you do apply too much it does leave a white cast and pill up on itself a bit. It's also fairly dry touch upon application. 

However, throughout the day, and within the first thirty minutes of applying for that matter, I do get considerably oily, and no less oily than I would get with the Neutrogena sunscreen, so this product didn't really do what I was looking for. 

As far as protection goes, even though I should be reapplying every two hours, I wear makeup, so I don't. Therefore, I've noticed that my skin is tanning a bit more than I would like it to, and definitely more than it does when I wear a mineral sunscreen (this is chemical). 

And it's not irritating to my skin. I've had no weird reactions like I do with the Neutrogena Helioplex sunscreens (I won't go near those with a ten foot pole), however, every time I apply I feel an itch for a couple seconds that I usually don't get with mineral sunscreens. It goes away though, and I'm fine.

Overall, this isn't a sunscreen I would go ahead and recommend, and it's not one I'd repurchase. 

I'll be sticking to mineral sunscreens from now on I think.

What do you recommend for a mattifying mineral sunscreen (SPF 30+)?

Ingredients:







No comments:

Post a Comment