Tuesday, February 11, 2014

French pharmacy haul + cheapest pharmacies in Paris

I obviously have quite the obsession with beauty products, but when it comes to the French pharmacy I'm absolutely crazy. I've discovered a couple pharmacies with the cheapest prices here in Paris (and, therefore, they're the most crowded and unpleasant to shop in) so I've picked up many things. I also had to get a couple things from Monoprix as well. 


I picked up a few polishes from Mavala Switzerland, as well as their base and top coat, Mavadry. This is quite honestly the worst polish brand I have ever tried. I think I need to write a whole post on the stuff I picked up just to rant. Just don't go crazy on the Mavala, no matter how cute the little bottles are. 
I also picked up the hand cream and lip balm from Caudalie. The lip balm is essentially the stick version of the Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm that comes in the pot (and yes, it's more similar to the pot lip balm than Nuxe's own stick version of the lip balm). The Caudalie hand cream is the best hand cream I have ever used. While it may not be as moisturizing as some hand creams, it's still hydrating and leaves no greasy feeling. It also smells incredible. I like the Nuxe Rêve de Miel hand cream in consistency, but the smell is more perfumey than the natural fruity/herbal smell of the Caudalie. I think the formula is nicer than the L'Occitane formula as well.
I also repurchased for the third+ time my favorite Caudalie shower gels. They were two for seven euros. Steal. They smell so good. Definitely looking forward to using these again.


The two wearable nail soaker things were actually an eBay purchase. My mom sent them to me by accident here in France, but I ordered them from the US ebay for about 4 bucks for the twenty. I got these to remove glitter nailpolish instead of using the foil method. You just put some nailpolish remover in them, soak your nails for two minutes, then the glitter's off. 
From Monoprix, I picked up some wax strips since I left my epilator at home. Yes, I prefer ripping my hair out every once in a while to shaving. These don't work that well though, unfortunately. They just don't really grab on to the hair.
I also picked up the 1 second nail polish remover from Bourjois. This stuff is just as incredible as everyone says. While it doesn't get the polish off in one second, it gets it off pretty damn fast without the need for cotton pads. It's also acetone free and smells good. Only downside is that you can only use it for fingers, and it also leaves your fingers pretty oily after. I have to wash my hands after I use it to get oil off my nails before painting again. 


I went to my other cheap pharmacy and picked up the Phyto Phytokératine shampoo and the Phytobaume conditioner. These were among the only sulphate free shampoos in the pharmacy. 
I also got the Bioderma Nodé DS+ anti-dandruff shampoo (gross, I know) because the hardwater here in Paris is killing my scalp. It works okay so far, but I need to use it longer to say anything more about it. It also came with a mini Nodé shampoo that is sulphate free. 
The pharmacy also had my favorite toothpaste of all time, Marvis. It was way cheaper here than in the states. Instead of picking up my usual Jasmin or Cinnamon Mint, I went for the Classic Strong Mint to see how I like it. I also picked up their new mouth wash. It's luxurious stuff. The packaging is to die for, and it looks so pretty in my bathroom. However, although it says it's alcohol free, it's not, and it stings like Listerine. 
I picked up the La Roche-Posay Toleriane Teint mineral powder since I ran out of the Wet n Wild one already (that stuff does not last long). This might be the worst powder I have ever tried. It's cakey, heavy, and does not mattify. Avoid at all costs! 
I also picked up the Bioderma Sébium Mat moisturizing mattifying fluid. It's the same idea as the La Roche-Posay's Effaclar Mat, but it doesn't have alcohol in it. It smells incredible (like watermelon), and it sinks in and really hydrates the skin. It's like a refreshing drink for your skin. I'm not sure how we'll it mattifies, but it is a great lightweight moisturizer. 


I also picked up a tube of Boiron's famous Homeoplasmine. I got this because I was sick and blowing my nose constantly. It works wonders to soothe a dry under-nose, and it is nice for lips, too, although it's not as good as the Nuxe Rêve de Miel or the Caudalie lip balms. 


Here are what the nail polishes I got look like on the nails. They're pretty, but I do NOT recommend the Mavala formula. Again, full review to come later.


The pharmacies I went to, and the cheapest pharmacies that I've found in Paris, are Pharmacie Place Monge (Place Monge stop metro line 7) and City Pharma Rue du Four (Metro line 10, Mabillon or Odéon, or line 4 Saint Sulpice). 
Both are always packed with people. If you shop at these places, come with a list of what you want or else you'll get overwhelmed trying to look. People are crazy and mean when shopping for skincare. 
I prefer Pharmacie Place Monge because I think they have more brands (and more interesting brands), and depending on the brand, it's even cheaper than Rue du Four, and it's a bit less stressful (not that much less stressful though). They also have a special checkout for people that want to get a tax refund upon returning to their country. 
I also like Place Monge because it's closer to where I go to University. Convenience for the win!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post, it tells me your opinions...so I dont get crap stuff again:) thanks for sharing pharm place monge too! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love pharmacie monge! Sometimes City Pharma Rue du Four gets way too stressful. haha
      Xoxo

      Delete