Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Rimmel BB Cream and Rimmel Stay Matte Powder


I have really oily skin. If you read this blog, I think you'll know that. That's why whenever something claims it's going to mattify my skin, I'm all like "Oooh be mine." The Rimmel BB Cream 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup SPF 25 in Light and the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder (001 Transparent) both claimed to do that. Nope. They were fails for me. I know the powder has a huge hype around it, so if you like it, don't be offended. This new formula just didn't work for me. The old one did though...


I'm going to start by saying that the shade range for this BB cream is awful. When I was in Spain, there were only two colors: Light and Medium. I would have fallen exactly into Light-Medium (the Light ended up being okay for me as my summer tan faded) but I had to go lighter. People at the extreme ends of the spectrum are going to have problems though. The Medium was too dark for me, but if anyone two shades darker than a light medium wanted to try this, it would be way too light. If you're any paler than me, there's no hope for you with this cream. Also, the cream runs pink. I have neutral to yellow undertones, so I wasn't completely a fan of that.
 I was interested in the BB Cream because it claims to prime, moisturize, minimize pores, conceal, cover, smooth, mattify, brighten and protect. Wow. Sounds SO awesome. 
I'm going to lump a few of those claims together though, because for me, moisturizer means moisturize, brighten, and protect, prime engulfs prime (obvs), minimize pores, smooth, mattify, and concealer means conceal and cover. Meaning this isn't a 9-in-1, it's a 3-in-1, day moisturizer/sunscreen, primer, concealer. Redundancy. Rant. Over.
As for ingredients, this product does not come out on top. I'm not a fan of mica as an oily skinned person (why would I want something that's going to give me a glow in my mattifying product??), shea butter is way too heavy for a day cream (and probably explains why I would get oily within 30 minutes of application), and it has a fragrance that was kind of obnoxious to me. 


The worst part about this BB Cream, however, was the application. Unless you apply on a completely clean face (no serum, extra sunscreen or mattifier, etc underneath), this goes on with a weird gummy texture and won't blend into the skin, but will leave you with a bunch of streaky patches and very very obvious pores. I would have to wash my face and start over again.
If I were in a rush though, I would apply this straight after toner (and try not to care about the not high enough for me SPF), and it would go on somewhat nicely with a decent amount of coverage (not enough to eliminate the need for concealer, but enough to even out skin tone). It still felt a bit tacky though, and right away I would get oily. By the end of the day, this just looked greasy, patchy, cakey, and horrible. I managed to finish the bottle, but boy was it hard (and ugly). 
This will give you a flashback in photos btw. 


Onto the next fail from Rimmel... the Stay Matte Powder.
Don't shoot.
I used to use the old Rimmel Stay Matte Powder (in the black packaging), but they reformulated it and added oils. Thaaanks. But no thanks. 
The powder would go on thicker and cakier than the old formula, and I would get oily almost right away. At the end of the day I would be a greasy mess. And this would not be transparent for those with darker complexions. Just sayin'.
The Rimmel powders' packaging just always tends to stink as well. 
Again, I finished the powder, but I only used it on days I didn't go out in public for too long, and I couldn't bother to finish up that last small ring of product in the end. 


Ingredients: Mica, coconut oil, mineral oil (it's basically the same thing as pertrolatum or parafinnum liquidum). *Cries river* 

Do you like these products? Leave your opinions below so that others may read multiple takes on this, 'cause this is just mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment